1.0 Course Overview

Andy | August 24, 2015 | 25 Comments

1. DEK says:

Hi Andy,well I have bit the bullet so to speak and actually bought myself a starter kit Strat+Amp. I guess I may be your biggest challenge yet as I am a total and utterly useless (wannabe) guitarist. However I decided to give your course a go as I would love to be able to play……even a little. Lol.
    Here’s hoping you can help me as I am totally clueless as to the jargon and struggle with the fretboard.
    Good Luck………to us both!!! Haha. ๐Ÿ˜‰

2. Richard Airlie-Gilbert says:

What a fantastic resource Andy. I’m looking forward to getting stuck into this, I just need to create a little bit of time. I’m a decent enough keyboard player, dabbled with whistle and concertina but, for some reason (and despite owning an acoustic guitar for many years), I’ve never got to grips with the guitar……so 2015 is going to be the year when I do. Thanks very much for this course and I’ll let you know how I get on.

Richard

3. Wilbert Williams says:

Hi Andy, thanks for having me on the course I look forward to learning the guitar with you. But I have a problem, I broke my left wrist as a boy many years ago and it was not set back correctly as there is a slight twist to my wrist and leave a strain when I fret the strings. I wonder if with practice I could overcome this, I have bein trying a long time but bein put off by this, would love to learn. Thank You.

Hi Wilbert I’m sure it’s possible to overcome however you do not want to strain your wrist, so keep your playing sessions short. Have fun ๐Ÿ™‚

4. Tim Vaughn says:

I am a beginner and would like to know if this course can used for an electric guitar. And also I’m left handed which shouldn’t be that big a deal, just takes me a little longer to figure things out

5. Jeff Miller says:

I’ve read through a lot of the beginning of the course. I think you need to have an editor look at it for spelling, grammar, and speech choices. It would take time and patience!
    Second, there are times that you use terms a beginner may not be familiar with; like “semitones” before you explain it.
    Thirdly, the written instruction explains something and says something like: “Andy will demonstrate…” This IS supposed to be Andys course isn’t it? It makes it sound as if the “teacher” explains something and now we’ll see an example by Andy, as a minor choice in the instruction.
    I’m an American and may not understand some of the British phrasings. Like “one off” or such phrases. I don’t mind them if they make sense in the context but you told me to view this as someone who hadn’t picked up a guitar before…
    I can help you, but to invest time would take a week or two and pages of notes and recommendations. I’m not applying for a job, just being sincere!
    If you want anything else, email me : majockus@citcom.net
    Shalom!
    Jeff

Hi Jeff, thanks for your comments and I appreciate your time and input so far. We realised this was a bit rough and ready, but just wanted to get it out there asap to our testers, like yourself. We now have some great feedback, comments and new ideas to make this even better! So this next stage will be all about refining things ready for public launch. I dare say it will still not be 100% at launch, but we’ll continue to develop it on an ongoing basis, as we get more feedback. It’s a continuous improvement type approach ๐Ÿ™‚

At the end of this you need to explain the study guide and how and where to download guide

Very nice introduction

8. frank garza says:

Looking forward to reviewing and thank Andy for making this available and for his passion of teaching and playing. I have been playing for almost 50 years and I can best describe myself as the person in the verse from Nashville Cats that goes “there’s 13 hundred and fifty guitar players in Nashville and anyone who unpacks his guitar can play twice as better than I will.” I am self taught and remember vividly the first day I decided to teach myself how to play and hope that I will be able to add something to this course.

9. Andrew Potts says:

Hiya Andy. I started playing acoustic at about 12yo, only ever a strummer. I had the chance to buy an Ibanez kit-out about 10 years ago, bought a few blues books as well, and still a strummer. Almost 6 years ago I had an accident with an electric circular saw, and the result, after a 1/2 hour argument (I think it only seemed that long) with the surgeon, he decided not to amputate my LHS digital finger down 2 knuckles. So, good news… kept the finger … bad news? Every single nerve from the tip down to the 2nd knuckle is just a big, mixed up pile of goop. I have tried to return to playing twice now, the last time – about 12 months ago, but as I have no feeling in the first and 2nd stretches of the finger, I can only do Barre chords, and even they sound like crap as I don’t know how much, or little pressure I am applying. I’m just wondering if you have ever come across this before, or do you know of a work-around?

Hi Andrew, I can’t say I’ve anything specific to add, but have you considered playing in altered or open tunings, to give you more scope? Also i’m posting your comment here in case anyone else out there has anything they could share??

10. Dave Bland says:

Hi guys, one of the best beginners tips I got was from Isaac Guilory (hope I’m spelling that right)
    He said whatever amount of practice time you have divide it into 3. Use the first third to warm up, scales and stuff you know well. The second third practice new stuff and stretch yourself. The last third stand up and give it the full works, moves, voice, the lot, full Monty. Have fun.

11. Charles Butler says:

I like Andy’s teaching style and look forward to moving through the new course.

12. Marcus Hunt says:

Hi Andy, I’ve been playing guitar for over 30 years but have only ever really been a strummer to accompany songs. I recently gave my neighbour some guitar lessons to get him started so I’m looking forward to seeing how you’ve structured this course. I know when I learned it was a “teach yourself” method from several books. Your videos are very inspirational from what I’ve seen and your enthusiasm and personality really shine through which, I’m sure, beginners will find educational and enlightening.

13. Danny Fessenden says:

My first bit of advice is, always start on an acoustic guitar. Most people start out on electric guitars with distortion and the works. You can make a mistake with an electric and it might sound cool. Make the same mistake on an acoustic and you will have dead strings. I’m looking forwRd to seeing the rest of this. I’ve been drumming since I was 9,I now 42. I picked up the guitar when I was 19. I’m mostly a rhythm player. I don’t do leads. I am now willing to try. I hope this helped.

14. Brian Armstrong says:

I have been learning for the past year and have a number of stumbling blocks which I hope Andycan help me with.
    Brian

15. Yves Jalbert says:

Hello Mr. Partridge,

Same for me I really wanted to start the correct way so with this course and your teaching and the effort that I put in to it I am confidence that I am heading to have a lot of fun. And don’t worry if I think some of my comments and notes would help, I will be very happy to send them to you. Thanks Again Very Much, Regards.

I’m looking forward to learning with Andy. I have seen many of his videos and This course will be great. I have been trying to play now for 3 months and have hit some stumbling blocks along my journey. Hopefully going through this structured course I can help or fix some of my short comings I went and learned many chords to start. Changing chords smoothly however is another story. As I said I’m looking forward to being re-trained the correct way, and not try to get ahead of myself and wind up frustrated. Good luck to all.