3.2 Why Learn On Acoustic

Andy | August 17, 2015 | 20 Comments

So why have we decided to start teaching on an acoustic guitar?

To be fair, you can learn on either an acoustic or an electric guitar, but here are some of the reasons we believe you should start your journey on the former… assuming, of course, you actually have one!

• You will have more fun on an electric later on when you have learnt the basics
• You don’t need loads of extra gear, like amps
• Starting with an electric may start to disillusion you as you will want to play like your guitar hero from the start
• It is more mobile
• You need to learn basics and not be discouraged
• An acoustic guitar makes you work harder. It may feel like running with weights, but it will feel great when you remove those weights and pick up your first electric
• It will give you added strength
• Acoustics sound great
• You can still play loads of styles.
• Not as easily distracted by trying to perfect the sound you want.

1. Colin Bowling says:

I basically agree with most of the above comment. When I was looking for my first guitar I knew I wanted an acoustic, but had no idea if I needed steel or nylon strings and what the difference was. Also an explanation of electro acoustics would be good. The trouble with this lesson is that ideally the student should watch it before buying, but they probably will not find the course until they’ve already bought their guitar. It’s almost like this should precede the course.

Also a general comment – the title frame of each video is the same, it would be good if each one had the lesson name on it so it was easier to see where you are in the course.

2. jim crossland says:

Personally i think it better to get the best you can afford to start with to save buying and throwing away cheaper guitars as we outgrow them very easily.
    Because of course if you are paying to learn to play giving up should not be an option

3.2: Why Learn On Acoustic: “It will give you added strength” might want to explain hand/finger strength — seems obvious to us, but might leave a beginner wondering if they’re in for a full-body workout. “Not as easily distracted by trying to perfect the sound you want” meaning by messing with an amp rather than actually playing – again, what you don’t say is obvious to us, but someone watching and playing for the first time won’t necessarily have a clue. In the video you mention “an extra 50 pound” when talking about upgrading guitars; keep in mind that there are non-British watching and each has a different monetary system – no one wants to figure out the conversion rate; might just mention “more expense” or something like that.

4. John Hartling says:

Perhaps a brief mention of the different hybrids and styles to choose from could be its own video. The difference between classical(nylon) and acoustic(steel strings) for example based on your musical choice, and the possibility of hollow bodies for those who want to eventually develop an electric sound.I noticed even in the comments above that some are in need of clarification on these points. At any rate I personally agree with an acoustic as the best starting ground, unless one is strictly interested in classical or spanish, in which case a classical is best.

At this point I would think the guitarist using this program will have a guitar
    so trying to sell them on buying an acoustic is not a good idea but the explanation on using and acoustic is great. buying a good acoustic or electric should be explained earlier.

Yes agreed. Actually we included this video as we thought it would add some value, although it was not shot for this course – it was one we did a while back 🙂

6. Anthony Mucci says:

sp: learned vs learnt

I think that the video puts it as simple as possible, and you’re right about building your strength and learning not to make mistakes. There’s no answer to which guitar you have, but if you are looking for your first, you can use the person or people in the store that you are buying it in.

8. Brian Armstrong says:

You mention that for an extra £50 you could possibly get a better guitar. Being a beginer how would I know it was a better model. It is not always possible to take someone along with you to purchase a starter guitar. What would you suggest you should be looking for if you go on your own.

9. Ken Hammond says:

Fair point made regarding Nylon strung guitars – could mention that they are a option and may be better for some players.

10. Dan Scharf says:

I agree with Charles Butler above. The versatility of an electric acoustic is a good way to go……I have a pretty good quality one in my Yamaha APX 700 (approx. $500 USD).

11. Charles Butler says:

I only have my Les Paul available right now, so I will soldier through. Strongly considering the purchase of an electric acoustic though, simply for its versatility and portability to play “unplugged” anywhere.

12. Marcus Hunt says:

No comments section on the previous page? Just one thing I noticed – you referred to the bridge pins as “string pegs” in the video; maybe a little confusing to a beginner to use different terminology?

Also, although you are referring to an ‘acoustic guitar’ what you’re really referring to is a ‘steel string’ acoustic. Perhaps you should also mention nylon strung guitars and mention that they are strung slightly differently without the use of bridge pins?

13. JL Brunet says:

Some electric guitars like my Epiphone ES-175 are a good compromise; you can strum them without an amp, they ring! Like a 2-in-1 somehow. Might be worth mentioning…