5.2 Song Structure & Melody

Andy | August 28, 2015 | 9 Comments

Now have a listen to Andy playing the melody line of the verse to The One I Love over our great backing track and providing you with a few facts on the structure, its speed and that learning this will improve your fretting skills and muscle memory no end.

So, first things first, here are some facts about The One I Love. It was REM’s first single to break the billboard top 10 (reaching no.9) and released in 1987 from their fifth full-length studio album “Document.”

If you listen carefully you can pick out the following instruments in the song, which was recorded at 130 beats per minute (BPM).

In March 2005, Q magazine placed the song at number 57 in its list of the 100 Greatest Guitar Tracks, so this is an absolute must to learn.

And next, here is the structure – but first of all give the song a listen all the way through before you start to break the song down into is component parts.

1. Allan Manaugh says:

I’m digging everything so far. Love the structure and layout of your program!

2. JL Brunet says:

6.2 gives the structure with the lyrics, yet not 5.2 – would be good to add them. Such a great song to start!!!

3. Ken Hammond says:

5.1 & 5.2 Duplicating content re BPM etc.

4. Marcus Hunt says:

Ron, I have to disagree. 5.1 was an overview of the whole song with melody and rhythm whereas 5.2 directs you towards the melody/lead guitar line. Certain things like the reference to the metronome are repeated but I see nothing wrong with this when it’s in keeping with a particular lesson. Let’s face it, a lot of learning to play guitar is about repetition no matter what stage you’re at be it beginner or advanced learning a new piece or song.

I thought this was a very good video Andy. Not too long and it gets the main points across in a concise manner.

5. Robin Haynes says:

In the description above, you say:

“If you listen carefully you can pick out the following instruments in the song…”

However, you don’t then enumerate the instruments.

6. Ron Hurst says:

5.1 and 5.2 were the same. I’ll probably have to spend more time on fretting exercises and trying to learn the notes on the neck of the guitar. I am just trying to learn guitar to play at Church it is harder than expected for me though.