6.7 Strumming Patterns

Andy | August 30, 2015 | 8 Comments

Dylan Strumming Pattern

In order to listen to the strumming pattern, Andy will take you through the strumming pattern he uses to play the song. To demonstrate the pattern effectively you will see the pattern played using muted strings, followed by the actual chords…G…D….Am…..G….D….C.

The pattern being played (D= downstrokes and U = upstrokes)
D/D/U/D/D/U/D/D/U/D/D/U

This is a relatively easy pattern to master and so, along with the easy-teach technique, should become embedded into your muscle memory (or brain as Andy likes to call it – no class!) relatively easily. This means it becomes much easier to add more accents and “little embelishments” to make the song sound more interesting…

Strumming Accents

1. Chris Lay says:

I don’t know how videos work, but if possible you might want to incorporate a button in the video lower toolbar that when clicked would take you to the next video automatically without having to go back to the outline to find it.

Hi Chris, thanks for that and agree it would be good to have a simple system to move from one video to the next – I’ll see what we can do!

Outline jumps from 6.5 to 6.7. Is there supposed to be a 6.6?

Hi Andy, I improvise pretty much with this song, especially coming off the Am onto the G. I throw a couple UDU’s, definitely flavors t up !

4. Ron Hurst says:

Sorry I guess I could have read that above

5. Ron Hurst says:

I watched this no matter what I do I just cannot get the sound right It seems that you are strumming down down up down up down I think it would be good if you told the strum movement you were doing.

Hi Ron, this is always a difficult one. I try not to be totally prescriptive about strumming ‘downs’ and ‘ups’ as they can be confusing (even for me!), but try and get student to just listen and try to get into the rhythm. But we can do both!